Oklahoma Car Insurance

The state of Oklahoma follows the tort system. The tort system means that when a car accident occurs, someone is found to be at fault for causing the accident. Once it's determined who is at fault for the accident, that person's insurance company will be responsible for paying for all the costs associated with the accident.

In addition to understanding that Oklahoma follows the tort system, it's also important to be aware that Oklahoma requires all of its residents who drive a car to carry certain amounts of car insurance. The first type of insurance that you are required to carry in the state of Oklahoma is bodily injury liability. The purpose of this type of insurance is to protect you in the event that you are found to be at fault for an accident that resulted in someone else being injured. Without bodily injury liability insurance, you would be responsible for paying all of that person's medical bills out of your pocket. The state of Oklahoma requires you to carry this type of insurance because trying to pay for these bills out of your own pocket could easily put you into significant debt. To protect yourself, Oklahoma requires that the bodily injury liability insurance you carry covers a minimum of $25,000 per injured person, with total coverage of at least $50,000 per accident. While carrying this amount of coverage will ensure that you are legal to drive in Oklahoma, you may want to increase these limits to provide yourself with additional protection.

The other type of insurance that Oklahoma residents are required to carry is property damage liability insurance. While bodily injury liability insurance covers the medical costs of others who are injured in an accident that you are deemed at fault for, property damage liability insurance works in the same way but instead covers the cost of damage that you may do to someone else's car. Property damage liability insurance will also provide you with coverage if you cause damage to a building, home or other form of property. Oklahoma requires that you carry at least $25,000 worth of this kind of car insurance.

While bodily injury liability and property damage liability are the two types of insurance required by the state of Oklahoma, you may want to protect yourself with additional forms of insurance. One type of insurance that many drivers choose to protect themselves with is uninsured/underinsured drivers insurance. While Oklahoma requires all residents who drive to have minimum amounts of car insurance, this doesn't mean that every single resident complies with this requirement. The reason many drivers view this type of insurance as essential is because it will protect you if you are involved in an accident where another driver is at fault, but they are uninsured or underinsured. If this happens and you don't have uninsured/underinsured drivers insurance, you will be responsible for handling the cost burden associated with your medical bills and/or damage to your car. However, with uninsured/underinsured drivers insurance, you don't have to worry about suddenly finding yourself with a large financial burden from a car accident that you didn't cause.

If you have an old car that is no longer worth much money, you probably don't care about protecting its value. However, if you have a new car or a car that is still worth a considerable amount of money, you probably want it to be protected in the event of a flood, theft or any other incident that could damage your car and reduce its value. With comprehensive Oklahoma car insurance, your car will be protected against virtually any kind of damage other than a collision. The reason that comprehensive Oklahoma car insurance doesn't cover collision related damage is because that kind of damage is covered by another driver's property damage liability insurance or your own uninsured/underinsured drivers insurance.

Comments are closed.