Cheap Dental Insurance
Finding cheap dental insurance is often far harder than you may think. It's easy for people to say to shop around and you are likely to find cheap dental insurance, although it is unfortunately far more complicated than this. Dental care in general can prove to be extremely expensive and then there are, of course, the various types of cover. You have numerous options to choose from which may include HMOs, direct reimbursement, and many others. It is very easy to become confused and indeed overwhelmed by the plethora of options available. It is not just a case of finding cheap dental insurance, but can also be a case of adding specific coverage to your existing health insurance plans.
As mentioned, there are numerous options available when it comes to finding cheap dental insurance. The first type of policy that most people will look into is indemnity dental insurance. This is where you get to choose the specific dentist you wish to visit, while your insurance company will pay to each service that you use. However, you should be aware that the vast majority of insurance companies will only pay up to a maximum of 80% of your total bill. This will therefore mean that you will need to cover the remaining 20%. You will typically find that you are required to pay a fee upfront, and then your insurance company will take care of the rest. You will also have to pay rather high deductibles before any treatment will begin. There are also likely to be waiting periods and you may even be limited to what services are covered.
A health maintenance organisation or HMO is extremely similar to a regular health insurance plan. You will be limited to a certain group of dentists and you may also be required to make co-pays during your visit. An HMO will typically have a cap on the amount of dollars that you are able to spend each year. With that said, the vast majority of routine preventative procedures are generally free. An HMO will usually be most beneficial for a family with children as regular checkups will be covered.
There are other cheap dental plans that are not specifically considered as insurance. These are often referred to as reimbursement plans and discount programs. These types of plans are relatively new and will typically have their very own terms and conditions. Certain plans will require you to pay the total dentist bill, and will then reimburse you at a later date. Discount programs will generally involve owning a discount card, which will be negotiated at a predetermined discount. A discount program will allow you a maximum of 60% savings over the normal costs. However, once again, you will still have to pay out of pocket for the services provided.
In order to find cheap dental insurance, possibly the best place to begin your search is online. There are various price comparison websites who are able to display the fees and services offered by numerous dentists. These specific websites will also offer far more for information on the different plans that are offered, which should help you with your final decision. There are certain online companies who will allow you to input your zip code or location into a database, and then will provide all the possible plans that are available in your area.
Dental insurance is something that you will typically need no matter what age you are. Unfortunately, the cost of a simple a dental procedure may cost hundreds of dollars. Therefore, by finding a cheap dental insurance policy you are likely to save yourself thousands of dollars on a yearly basis. Without some form of dental insurance you may find certain preventative procedures such as x-rays and bi-yearly cleanings may cost up to $300. However, as mentioned, these preventative procedures are free with the vast majority of dental insurance policies. Another example of the savings that you may make is for a procedure such as a root canal. This will generally cost somewhere in the region of $1500, although by having a dental insurance policy in place you will merely have to pay a fraction of this price. As you may, or may not, be aware good dental care and dental hygiene is extremely important to help you maintain good overall health.
Prior to choosing a cheap dental insurance policy there are certain questions you should ask. These should include - How much will dental insurance cost you each month? What type of deductible is offered? Are you able to choose your own dentist or will you have to choose from a specific network? What particular procedures are covered under your dental insurance policy? Will your policy cover cosmetic dentistry as well as preventative care? To begin your search for cheap dental insurance it is advisable that you initially check what type of policies are offered by some of the more well known names in healthcare insurance. These may include Aetna, Humana, Cigna, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Ameriplan and Guardian.